Contact with the Board of Directors should be made through the NASM National Office.
The Board of Directors is composed of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, the Immediate Past President, the Chair and the Associate Chair of the Commission on Accreditation, the Chair of the Commission on Community College Accreditation, a Non-Degree-Granting Member, the nine Regional Chairs, and three Public Members. With the exception of the Public Members, the Board is appropriately balanced to represent a variety of music backgrounds and perspectives. The Executive Director is an ex officio, non-voting member of the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors shall:
- Exercise the various responsibilities of the Board as stipulated in the Bylaws.
- Act in an advisory capacity to the Executive Committee in its jurisdiction over and responsibility for the executive functions of the Association.
- Review the annual report of the Association’s financial position as prepared by the Association’s official auditors.
- Establish and revise Part I of the Rules of Practice and Procedure in the NASM Handbook following consultation with accredited institutional members.
- Address the needs of the membership, recognizing the diversity as well as the common basic purposes of all member institutions.
- Review and, as appropriate, act on proposals presented by any ad hoc committees established by the Board to address issues that the Bylaws indicate are under the authority of the Board.
NASM Board of Directors 2020-2021:
Dan Dressen, President (2021)
Saint Olaf College
Michael D. Wilder, Vice President (2021)
Jeffrey L. Pappas, Treasurer (2022)
University of Tennessee
Mary Ellen Poole, Secretary (2023)
University of Texas at Austin
Kirsten Morgan, Non-Degree-Granting Member, Board of Directors (2023)
The Diller-Quaile School of Music
Kevin J. Dobreff, Chair, Commission on Community College Accreditation (2023)
Grand Rapids Community College
Peter T. Witte, Chair, Commission on Accreditation (2022)
University of the Pacific
David Gier, Associate Chair, Commission on Accreditation (2022)
University of Michigan
Fred Cohen, Chair, Region 1 (2021)
San Jose State University
Dean Luethi, Chair, Region 2 (2021)
Washington State University
Julia R. Gaines, Chair, Region 3 (2021)
University of Missouri, Columbia
Alison Shaw, Chair, Region 4 (2023)
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Susan D. Van Vorst, Chair, Region 5 (2023)
Baldwin Wallace University
Susan Tusing, Chair, Region 6 (2023)
Isiah R. McGee, Chair, Region 7 (2022)
Julia Mortyakova, Chair, Region 8 (2022)
Mississippi University for Women
Thomas R. Webster, Chair, Region 9 (2022)
East Texas Baptist University
Karen P. Moynahan, Executive Director, ex officio